Thursday, February 19, 2015

Response


­     When I started to read the introduction to Outlier, I felt really interested in the beginning part. It gave us two definitions of the word-"outlier", which made me want to know what the author’s purpose was to do this. Did he want readers to choose one definition that was more suitable for the article. In my opinion, I liked this part, because to some extent, it seemed like a hook to catch readers’ eyes or make readers to think. With the question in my mind, I began to read. At the beginning of the introduction, the author told us historical things about the mysterious place Reseto. When I read this for the first time, I felt really confused about this part. I thought it was hard for me to understand. I first thought that Reseto was the aspect that the author focused on, but then I realized that the author wanted to introduce the physician Stewart Wolf. After finishing the reading, I know at that time, there was heart disease in the United States. The heart attacks were the main cause of death of men who were under the age of sixty-five. It was impossible to be a doctor at that time but Wolf did. He spent a lot of time investigating the origin of the disease. Comparing those people who were over sixty-five between Reseto and America, he found that the death rate caused by heart disease was half in Reseto. After seeing this, he thought that there must be something special in that place. In order to find out why that phenomenon appeared, he asked his friends to help him. He investigated people’s diet and knew it was diet habit that led to this fact. In my opinion, Wolf was brave enough and he should be respected by anyone because he may die if he suffered the heart disease during his investigating. Health plays an important role and everyone is eager to be healthy. I am really willing to read the book because I want to see how the author shows what Stewart Wolf did for people’s better understanding of health.          ­ 

No comments:

Post a Comment